Re: Auto-notify remote user of IP address change?

Vegard|drageV wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:59:33 +1000, David Powell
<moondrake@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I'm installing a DB server into a clients office, and I want to be able
to set up remote ssh access to the box from home.

The glitch is that the client's ADSL internet access has a dynamic IP
address.  I wondered if anyone knew of any good ways that I can get the
debian box (which will be the DB server - and the only one I've access
to) to check what IP address the office gets, and automatically e-mail
me (or something) when it changes?

The full setup for the office is:

         Internet

        Modem/Router

            / \
           /   \
          /     \
      Debian  Windows
      Server  desktops

My setup at home is similar (though I've got linux desktops) and I I've
tried to get the IP address that the modem is assigned, but the only way
I've been able to is by visiting internet sites (like shields up) that
report that info back.

Any clues greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

--
David Powell
Information Systems Developer

 I've made cronjob wich more or less does this, but it requieres you
have SSH access to your home PC. But anyway, here it is:
Put this line in to your .bashrc file:
      'alias myip="/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet add' | awk '{print
$2}' |cut -d ''  -f 12 |cut -d: -f2" '

Set up a cronjob maybe like this:

 * * * * * * date>>myip.text; myip>>myip.text; scp myip.text your.name@host:

Cheers, Vegard

Go here and set up a free dynamic DNS host:

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/dyndns/

apt-get install ddclient

-Roberto

--