Re: Re: Accounting package

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 02:07:05PM -0600, David wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 02:51:27PM +0800, Jianan wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Points taken.
> > I would like one to support a one-man business operation selling physical
> > goods. Basic capability would be to track cost and sales revenue to revel
> > profit(loss). A package with add-on capabilities when required.
> >
> > Any recommendation now?
>
> Could you do this with a database?  I've been keeping track of my *VERY
> MODEST* business dealings with a "C" program based upon flat
> random-access records.  I've used it for several years but I'm now
> considering setting it up with PostGreSQL.

Accounting software evolved from the traditional ways of doing double-
entry bookkeeping from before computers existed.  There's nothing stopping
you from implementing your own electronic version of the old fashioned
way of doing things.

Then there's GnuCash, which is straight forward double-entry accounting.
With proper account management you can manage cash on hand and taxes.
Those are just accounts.  The only rule is "the debits must equal the
credits."  Everything else is just convention.

Then there are commercial accounting packages for Linux.

If it was me, I'd just use Quickbooks in Windows.  Which would you rather
do when you get audited -- hand your lawyer and the IRS your quickbooks
data or explain the fact that you got clever?  Run it in VMWare or something.