Re: Yet another mouse problem...

Eric van der Paardt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: tony mollica [mailto:tjm3@threedogs.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:17 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Yet another mouse problem..

My mouse is working almost normally.  However, I use a KVM
switch to change between two computers.  I recently 'upgraded'
to testing and now have a problem with the mouse working normally
when switched from #1 box to #2 box and then back again.  Mouse goes
crazy and needs to have the psmouse driver reloaded to get back
  to normal.  I spotted a console message about the mouse losing
sync.
The second box is winxp and there is no problem switching
to and from that computer.  Linux computer is using Debian
testing with the 2.6.8 kernel with the mousedev and psmouse drivers
from the default installation.  The mouse worked normally with the
KVM switch and Debian Woody, 2.4.25 kernel.

Any suggestions?  The KVM switch is about 3 years old, maybe
time for a better upgrade.

I have a belkin omniview with two windows servers and two linux boxes on
it.  Both of my linux boxes have this very same problem (I have only
used cybex KVMs in the past and never had this issue switching between
windows and linux).

Down and dirty solution is to unplug the mouse or *sometimes* reset the
KVM to get the mouse working correctly.

If you find a better solution please reply to the list because I know I
would like to know it.

I had the same problem - a Belkin 2-way with 2 boxes, one dual-booted to WinXP and Linux, and a Kinesis split keypad with Alps glidepoint used on both. The goofy mouse showed up on either of the Linux boots (either the linux-only or the dual boot) if the mouse was last used in Windows; as long as both boxes were shut down, the mouse/touchpad unplugged, a few incantations mumbled over it, and the two computers booted only to Linux, things were great.

I had a devil of a time getting it to work correctly and did find that unplugging the thing seemed to clear it out most of the time.

Then, quite by accident, I found the answer - at least for me. I uninstalled the Alps driver in Windows XP and ran the mouse as a standard PS/2 mouse (which the glidepoint emulates naturally). I haven't had a problem since... until now (and my present problem is not due to the mouse). I'm not sure what manner of 'memory' the glidepoint had, but something 'stuck' from the WinXP driver after it was reconnected to a linux OS... or that's as near as I can tell.

Pete