Another mouse problem in X...

I have a Debian installation off of a somewhat old net install CD, running the 2.4.27-2-K7 kernel and everything is just fine booting up into gnome desktop... it's all happy.

I decided I wanted to upgrade the kernels and have tried several with similar results. The present 2.6.8-2-k7 is an example.

The boot runs up fine until it attempts to start X. It then runs through the entries in the XFreeConfig-4 file (as far as I can tell anyway) and gets to the mouse device. This is a glidepoint-PS/2 which specifies '/dev/psaux' as the device.

Unfortunately, there is no file '/dev/psaux'. If I change the entry to '/.dev/psaux', it works fine from the 2.6 boot but, if I understand what I'm doing (I'm fairly new to linux and know enough to be a little dangerous to myself, but found the file using 'find' and figured it couldn't hurt just to see if it worked), is going across the two kernels.

I've tried copying the file to a another directory and placing it in the 2.6 /dev directory, but it still doesn't run and the X log indicates that /dev/psaux is missing (unless I link to the /.dev version).

Any suggestions for a somewhat confused initiate?

Thanks!

Pete