Re: FAT32 vs NTFS

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:43:17 +0000, Jon Dowland <dowland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 02:06:20 +0200, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:41:09 -0500
> > Andy Rowan <bogey2521@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you use ext2 then there is explore2fs (free at
> > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) which allows you to
> > access ext2 from windows (probably also ext3 since its ext2 with a journal).
> > There is also something for reiserfs but command line only last time I checked.
>
> Also of interest, from the same chap, is EXT2IFS - a native filesystem
> driver for ext[23] drives on win32. Not as reliable as explore2fs in
> my experience, but still pretty impressive. GPL.
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

There's also another project - ext2fsd
(http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net) by Matt Wu which enables mounting of
ext2/ext3 filesystems as native Windows filesystems (which can then be
assigned drive or volume labels). I was able to use the author's code
(along with a few hints from email correspondences with John Newbigin
- author of explore2fs) when I created a filesystem mounter for
ext2/ext3 as my undergraduate thesis two years ago.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com