Re: FAT32 vs NTFS

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:41:09 -0500
Andy Rowan <bogey2521@hotmail.com> wrote:

> At 10:53 AM 3/2/2005, Randy Orrison wrote:
> >Be aware that not all valid ext3 filenames are representable in NTFS or
> >FAT.  In particular, Maildir style filenames contain a : and so get
> >renamed to something 8 characters long, losing any maildir status flags
> >(which are after the : in the filename) in the process.  If ZIP files can
> >contain filenames with :s in them, you might try zipping while you're
> >doing the backup, both to save space and to preserve the filenames.  There
> >are Windows programs that can handle tar files (WinZip) but I don't know
> >what it would do with filenames with :s.
>

> Randy, your timing is perfect.  I just opened up my debian-users mail
> folder ... because I just discovered the exact problem you describe.  The
> files are backups from several servers, some windows and some
> unix/linux.  And there are colons all over the place in the linux file
> names ... perl stuff, and so on.  And I'm trying to use rsync to
> synchronize stuff from the internal hard drives to the fat32 one, and it
> just gets hosed by this.
>
> Ugh.
>
> Time to rewrite the plan, I guess.  It looks like the options are:
>
> 1. Use ext3 on the firewire drive, and lose the ability to plug it into a
> windows computer.

If you use ext2 then there is explore2fs (free at
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) which allows you to
access ext2 from windows (probably also ext3 since its ext2 with a journal).
There is also something for reiserfs but command line only last time I checked.

> 2. Stick with fat32 but abandon rsync and go with something involving tar.

There is a project called captive to use the windows drivers to access the ntfs
partition (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/).