Re: database

On Saturday 05 March 2005 06:53, Jianan wrote:
> Any recommendation for a database with capabilities and features close to
> those of MS Access?

Hehheh, I forgot about Access's GUI stuff for a second, and was almost going
to point out that in terms of real database features, Access sucks pretty
badly.  Most of the Free Software solutions add a GUI to a better database
like MySQL or postgres, which will be much better, at least from a technical
perspective.

For a frontend, you can look at Rekall or OpenOffice 2.0 as someone mentioned.
Kexi, the KDE Office database app, is also pretty interesting.  It's not
packaged with debian either yet, though, and I'm not sure how ready it is for
mainstream use.  Certainly looks the part :)

Another option is knoda, which is in debian sid.  It's surprisingly complete
and powerful, considering the basic looks when you first run it, and it's
relative lack of popularity.  Play around for a while, and see if it can do
what you need.

--
Lee.