to use the FQDN in /etc/hostname or not?

Does /etc/hostname use the fully qualified domain name?

a: www.example.com
b: www

Which one is correct?  And if B is correct, is the fqdn configured in
/etc/hosts, or somewhere else?  What if the FQDN is simply
'example.com'?

Feel free to make me start over, and clue me in the correct manner.
Seems like a silly question, but I've never bothered to address it.
Sometimes I experience odd dns resolving issues, and most times it
seems to work regardless.

Thanks,

Scott Edwards
--