Re: [survey] mutt - default settings on Debian

On (04/03/05 22:09), Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is a simple survey to convince the maintainer of mutt to change
> some default settings in Debian's /etc/Muttrc. Please comment parts of
> this mail with (change it | keep current) and send it back to me:
I don't know how many people use the default muttrc.  I started out
using one of the many examples available and have adapted that to my
needs.

>  - display of the date - by (current) default, the Date: field is not
>    displayed together with the message text. The only way to see the
>    date is to leave the pager and look at the index line, and there is
>    still only the short string (Jun 12), no year, no exact time.
>    Suggested change:
>    remove "ignore date" setting and make the date visible everywhere
Agree, although you can hit 'h' to see the headers.  I do think that
time of message is important.

>  - colors: the current color map is acceptable but sucks WRT clear
>    visible contrasts: green on blue is not good readable, black on blue
>    is also bad.
>    Suggested changes (attached):
>    more White-on-Blue
>    red index marker
>    dark-green unimportant header lines
>    bright-yellow Subject: and Date: fields
Colour is a subjective thing and at least if the colours are in the
.muttrc, it is fairly easy to change them to suit one's own taste.
Here's mine FWIW:
# Here get the colors defined
color attachment  white       magenta  # ..
color body        cyan        default  "ftp://[^ ]*"
color body        brightgreen default
"[[:alnum:]][-+.#_[:alnum:]]*@[-+.[:alnum:]]*[[:alnum:]]"
color body        cyan        default  "<URL:[^ ]*>"
color bold        green       default  # ..
color error       red         default  # global
color header      yellow      default  "^cc: "
color header      green       default  "^date: "
color header      yellow      default  "^from "
color header      brightcyan  default  "^from: "
color header      yellow      default  "^newsgroups: "
color header      yellow      default  "^reply-to: "
color header      brightcyan  default  "^subject: "
color header      green       default  "^to: "
color header      yellow      default  "^x-mailer: "
color header      yellow      default  "^message-id:"
color header      yellow      default  "^Organization:"
color header      yellow      default  "^Organisation:"
color header      yellow      default  "^User-Agent:"
color header      yellow      default  "^message-id: .*pine"
color indicator   black       green    # index
color markers     red         default  # index
color message     white       blue     # index
color normal      white       default  # pager body
color quoted      cyan        default
color quoted1     yellow      default
color quoted2     red         default

>  - current settings hide the index view when the message is beeing
>    displayed in the pager. I think it makes sense to keep the overview
>    of the next few messages while the current message is displayed.
>    Suggested change:
>    set pager_index_lines=5
Couldn't agree more. The few servers I monitor have the default muttrc
and I keep meaning to sort this one out but it's not been a high
priority.

> Thanks for your comments,
> Eduard.
You're welcome ;)