Re: UML and installing sarge from iso

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 11:45:47AM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:45:47 +0100
> From: Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verheyen@sjki.be>
> To: Debian Linux Distro Users Discussion <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: UML and installing sarge from iso
>
> i have installed several sarge instances in UML via debootstrap. Now i
> wanted to try it once via the netinst iso.
>
> The problem is that my cdrom isn't detected and need to abort the
> install. This is the line that i'm using to start the UML
>
> ./vmlinux.2.6.9 devfs=nomount load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=30000 mem=128m
> initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 ubd0=rootfs_sarge
> ubd1=sarge-i386-netinst.iso ubd2=/dev/cdrom eth0=tuntap,tap2
>
> This starts the install but it can't detect the cdrom device
> I then made sure i mounted the sarge-netinst iso from the cdrom and then
> in the startup sequence i could see that all 3 ubd's where detected
> however the install programs still insists that there is no cdrom device.
> If i check with console in the install sequence i see 3 devices inside
> /dev/ubd so the start sequence worked.
>
> How can i make sure the cdrom is correctly detected ?

  IMHO it happens because there're no uml modules on your initrd image.
After you have booted debian-installer, start shell on second tty and
mount modules via hostfs, something like this:
mount -o /usr/lib/uml/modules -t hostfs hostfs /lib/modules

and continue installation. IIRC it will complain about missing device
file for cdrom and prompt you for it, enter /dev/ubd2 (BTW, if you boot
uml with devfs=nomount, there will be no devices like /dev/ubd1 etc on
your initrd image. IMHO you should boot with devfs=mount)
or try to boot uml with fakeide option.

  Best wishes,

--
Alexei Chetroi

Smile... Tomorrow will be worse. (c) Murphy's Law