Re: How stable is SID?

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 10:30 -0500, Rick Friedman wrote:

> Currently, I am running Sarge on my home machine. I am thinking of doing
> a dist-upgrade to SID. I am ready to deal with any problems that may
> crop up. However, I DO have other people in the house who use the
> machine as well. I am wondering if SID is, at least, reasonably stable?

SID is, by one definition of the term, completely unstable. In fact, it
is as unstable as you can get. The stability referred to by the "stable"
moniker refers to the stability of package versions and dependencies,
the versions of software in a stable release almost never change. In
unstable, new versions are being added all the time. If you are viewing
the OS as a platform, stable is a stationary target, unstable is quite
the opposite.

-Mark