Re: silly question

On Thu 3 March 2005 23:48, Blake Swadling wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 23:33 -0500, David P James wrote:
> > On Wed 2 March 2005 23:10, John Hasler wrote:
> > Come again? That "rule" doesn't apply to many of your examples!
>
> David
>
> OK up front I confess that i haven't been following this thread
> closely (probably since the second post), but I think you are
> assuming that everyone here is a yank. Not everyone in the English
> speaking world pronounce things the way you folks do (i hazard a
> guess that the majority don't)

Blake,

Considering I'm in Canada the above doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
The only one I hear frequently here is "dee-fault" but many Americans
seem to pronounce them all the way you do, which is a fascinating state
of affairs. My father is English and he pronounces all of the below as
I list them so I'm reasonably sure a good number of Brits do as well.

> > >         default
> >
> > That's "d'fault" or "duh'fault" not "dee-fault'
>
> Ahh ... yes it is dee-fault
>
> > >         silent
> > >         directly
> >
> > "dir-ectly" not "die-rectly"
>
> again yes it is die-rectly
>
> > >         pronounce
> >
> > "pruh'nownce" or "praw'nownce" not "proh-nownce"
>
> once again i must say it is proh-nounce
>
> > >         consonant
> >
> > "kon-son'ant" not "kohn-son'ant" or "kon-sohn-ant"
> >
> > >         wrote
> > >         line
> > >         user
> > >         date
> > >         resent
> >
> > "r'zent" or "ruh'zent" not "ree-zent"
>
> once more you are incorrect, y'all might drop the 'ee' but we don't
>
> > >         obeying
> >
> > "uh-bay-ing" or "aw-bay-ing" not "oh-bay-ing"
>
> and again .... it is oh-bay-ing
>
> > >         request
> >
> > "r'kwest" or "ruh'kwest" not "ree-kwest"
>
> as per 'resent'
>

> next you'll be telling us that it is "aluminum" ... check the
> periodic table ppl. there is a second letter 'i' in there somewhere

I do pronounce the 'i' sometimes (usually when referring to it in a
chemistry context) but most Canadians do not, which is kind of annoying
since in French it does get pronounced that way.

> if you re going to nit pick about pronunciation you should be a
> little more careful.

The same could be said of you and John when more than half of the
initial list is in dispute, which was really my point - the rule only
really holds in the limited 'vowel+consonant+e' case, and even there
there are exceptions like 'some'.

Cheers,
--
David P James