Re: Which Dell Dimension ?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:32:17 -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi
<kamaraju@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To make it short and sweet, it is recommended to build your
> > own system. Dell, HP, Gateway both use sub standard parts,
>
> I dont want to be a PITA here. But one problem we frequently face with
> our custom made machines is service. If the mother board on dell
> dimension fails, fine, the dell guys takes care of it immediately and
> replaces it within the next 2 days. But on a custom built machine, the
> money will be coming out of your pocket..
[...]
Thank you Raju!
Well, if the motherboard really fails on my machine, I usually don't
have 2 days time to wait for the dell dudes to show up - I just go to
my store, buy a new one and I'm resuming normal operations within a
few hours. I'm willing to take the risk of a failing board and have to
invest additional 200 Euros.

[...]
> Regarding Pentium Vs AMD machines:
> The AMDs generate a lot of heat than Pentiums. For a desktop it
> probably does not matter. But if you are planning to build a cluster,
> I would go with pentiums than amds or have a good cooling system
> installed.

Are you sure ? According to everything I've read/heard the opposite is true.
Less heat for the AMD's...

Thank you & best regards,
Hannes.