RE: problem installing tomcat

Tomcat doesn't serve random files in the webapps directory.  You will need
to create a minimal webapp.  The Tomcat site has an example, but I suggest
you find a good book on JSP/Servlets and go from there.

> but when i type in my browser localhost:8080 or 8081 as i saw
> for debian
> in some sites it says the connection was refused while attempting to
> connect localhost:8081

I am not sure how Debian sets up Tomcat. I always just download the latest
version and place it in /opt.  Anyway, by default Tomcat listens on port
8080.  If you are using IE as your browser, you need to add http:// to your
URL.  IE doesn't understand that HTTP connections can use other ports.  The
other thing to do is run the following command:

netstat --inet -n -l | grep LISTEN

This should show you the ports that something, including Tomcat is listening
on.

I hope that helps.
Victor