Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

> Sorry, missed one question, as said, I have kernel-image2.6.8 installed
> which is working fine. in addition to the mention methode above can I
> keep/use my current kernle-config?
>
>  /ernst-magne

This is what I do.  I would want to keep both the kernel image which I already
have, so that if something goes wrong with the new kernel image, I can still
boot the machine.  I am using GRUB and not lilo and I will assume you are
also using GRUB.  If you installed from the Sarge netinstall image, you are
probably using GRUB.

I first download the kernel source package kernel-source-2.6.8 and unpack it,
then I cd to the toplevel of that kernel source:

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/

Then I edit the Makefile found there by changing the EXTRAVERSION part from
EXTRAVERSION =
to  EXTRAVERSION = -v1     (it can be almost anything, does not have to be
what I use)

Then I copy my old kernel config to this new kernel source tree:

cp /boot/config-2.6.8 .config

and then I do a 'make oldconfig'.  If you are using a newer kernel source than
the one for the presently installed kernel, you will be asked questions about
new drivers.  If after this step is finished you want to change something,
such as adding support for some piece of hardware, do a 'make menuconfig' and
then save the new kernel config.

Then:

make-kpkg clean

make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.01 kernel_image modules_image

and your kernel will compile, followed by the modules.  The deb packages that
will result will have a name like this:

  kernel-image-2.6.8-v1  and that is what allows you to have a second 2.6.8
kernel installed.  the "--initrd" should only be used if you are in fact
using initrd on your system, otherwise do not use that option to compile your
kernel.  Install the resulting packages and if you are using GRUB, GRUB
should take care of the rest and if you look in /boot you should find the new
kernel image and initrd there.  if you cd to / you will find a new symlink
for the new kernel.   Don't remove the old kernel until you have used your
new kernel for some time and find no problems.

9)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com