Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
<snip>

Hi again and tanks for reply.
The way you describe is the way I'm doing it.
I have tryed both with and without the "mkinitrd -o....." option.
and ofcause updated lilo which I'm using.

Sorry for the lack of info, I'll download and compile again and wright
down the exsakt error.

/ernst-magne

Sorry, missed one question, as said, I have kernel-image2.6.8 installed
which is working fine. in addition to the mention methode above can I
keep/use my current kernle-config?

 /ernst-magne

Yes, that's the whole idea, saves work :)
To use the config of the kernel-image2.6.8 copy it's corresponding config file from /boot to the directory where your kernel source is in. Assuming you've installed your kernel source in kernel-source-2.6.10, the commands would look like this:

I already described that step in a previous mail:
> cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10
> cp /boot/config-2.6.x .config

Off course for 2.6.8 it would be something like
> cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8
> cp /boot/config-2.6.8 .config

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D