Re: Using fvwm-themes with Debian Sarge

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:30:28 +0100, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> Currently, when booting Sarge (with gdm?) I get a screen that offers
>> the option to use "fvwm" as my windows-manager.  This would work OK -
>> if I took the trouble to configure it properly.

> Then every time gdm comes up and you log on (or you are auto logged
> on) your fvwm comes up as per /home/<user>/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc

I fear that the problem is more difficult.

As mentioned in my original posting, there are no problems in using
fvwm2 with Debian Sarge.

There are problems in using "fvwm2+fvwm-themes" (because fvwm-themes
uses its own "fvwm2rc" file).  I can point to that file quite easily
from the console.  But, to get there I have to disable gdm, kdm, xdm
and any other XWindows login manager that Sarge appears to select by
default.

It looks as though Sarge has decided that the console is unsuitable
for the Great Unwashed.  Woody at least gave the option to log into
the console when it ran "gdm" at boot.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen