Re: How long 'till Sarge->Stable?

Dave Sherohman wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 08:39:34AM -0600, Henry Hollenberg wrote:

Nobody answered the question?  Could that be part of the problem?

I suspect that nobody answered because, like all software projects,
nobody truly knows when it will be ready until it is ready.

I wonder if the debian folk have made the system to easy to apt-upgrade
so many feel no need to upgrade/install to a new real release.

One of the greatest things about Debian, IMO, is that you _never_
have to reinstall.  I have boxes that started off as slink and have
been brought through potato, into woody, and mixed with a bit of
sarge all through apt-get without having to reinstall at any point.

I would love to see a mandate for bi-annual (or at least annual) releases
no matter what.  If the installer isn't ready use the old one.  If an
architecture isn't ready they'll just have to shoot for the next release date.
A deadline is a time tested motivator.

A deadline is also a well-proven means of getting unstable, buggy
software.  That may be good enough for the rest of the world, but
it's not good enough for Debian.

Would money help achieve this goal?   Payed/professional release developers?

How much are you offering?  Fund a full-time position or three and
I'm sure you'd have plenty of developers willing to help get whatever
code you want ready.  The Debian Project, however, will still release
when the code is ready and won't leave anyone behind.

Now you are getting to the heart of my question.

1) If you could do a "perfect" release every year would you want to?

2) If you had one, two or three payed debian workers do you think that would help to achieve
   that goal.

BTW, I'm not interested in crappy software, that's why I use linux/debian.

hgh.

--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com