Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:17:05 +0100
From: Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verheyen@sjki.be>
To: Ernst-Magne Vindal <ernst@vindal.com>
Subject: Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

Hi all
I've just got a laptop,ibmx30, and have problem compiling kernel.
The only way to install is from usb cd or floppy, I downloaded the sarge
cd 1 and this recognized the usbcd so I was able to install. The chosen
image was 2.6.8.2-i686.

Now everything is working fine, exept from the wlan. It's a cisco aeronet
802.11b adapter integrated.

I have googled around and it seams like I'm not able to use it unless I
compile some stuff, like linux-wlan-ng og someting to the kernel. Problem
is no that I'm not able to boot into the compiled 2.6.8 kernel, get
"kernel panic".

I have tryed ordinary compiling like make mrproper, menuconfig, dep,
bzimage, modules, modules_install, install and I have also tryed what I
like best with the make-kpkg and creating dep package and installed, this
also failed during boot. The last also does not create the modules. It
crreates the folder in /lib/modules but gives a lot of errors about
"unresolved symboles.....".

What is the prper way to compile kernel theese days, can i use my current
config and compile a new 2.6.x kernel?

/ernst-magne

Check out this link:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html.en

It's pretty good at explaining how to compile a kernel.

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D

Jepp, thats one of the methods I've tryed....

/ernst-magne

Well, i compile kernels that way
after unpacking:

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10
cp /boot/config-2.6.x .config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.02mar2005 kernel_image modules_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-x

It would help if you where more informative on the kernel panic you get.
Also, the default kernels use an initrd so maybe you need this aswell?

If i make an initrd i use (after installing the deb package of the corresponding kernel first)

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10.02mar2005 -r /dev/hda2 2.6.10.02mar2005

Then adjust grub to include the initrd and that's it.

Regards,
Benedict