Re: PHP blog software....

Christopher Black wrote:
Ralph Crongeyer wrote:

Hi all,
Is there a PHP bloger that is a deb? I know that I can just install one but
I like that the software can be updated when I do a dist-upgrade, like I can
do with eGroupware.

WordPress is in Debian. It's written in PHP and is one of the more popular
blogging backends.

Which I use:
http://esquipulas.homeunix.com

Which brings up a point: I started with WP 1.2 and the current version is 1.5.

However... This (and every other blogger?) is written in PHP4 in its entirety. So it is in a sense platform independent, but it needs mysql as a db and of course the server, apache.

And this is not at all like most Debian packages: a binary with all the libs figured out: it is just PHP code. Moreover, in order to run it you have to become a PHP freek: you change the CSS, the index.php and more.

Then... updates are no longer so simple because you have changed things to fit your style. So the update from 1.2 to 1.5 is never dist-upgrade or whatever, as in the case with "normal" packages.

I was looking for a system change tracking tool: something that where I could keep everything I did to this "rig", which I could easily look at, would be database oriented and could be printed like a manual with an index.

That does not exist. So I looked at b2evolution and wp and picked wp, but the benefits of making it a Debian package I am not convinced of.