Re: How stable is SID?

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:30:49 -0500, Rick Friedman
<richard.c.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, I am running Sarge on my home machine. I am thinking of doing
> a dist-upgrade to SID. I am ready to deal with any problems that may
> crop up. However, I DO have other people in the house who use the
> machine as well. I am wondering if SID is, at least, reasonably stable?
>
> Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Depends on
1) how much time the administrator is willing to spend?

I spend around 4-5 hours a week for maintenance - looking at log
files, login details, new packages etc.,

2) how frequently is it upgraded?

I upgrade on a package basis not a date basis. If I want a new version
of a package, I will upgrade it. Otherwise I will just run the old
versions.

3) How seriously output of apt-listbugs & apt-listchanges is taken into account?

I take this very seriously. I read all bugs in all the packages that
are being upgraded. Then I hit the 'Y button'.

4) What is the criterion for stability?

My measure of stability is uptime.

that being said, I would say Sid is pretty stable as such. On my
laptop, my record uptime was about 2 months.

Upgrade only when you want to. When you are upgrading make sure you
understand what packages are upgraded and for what reason. Make
backups, just in case...

hth
raju

--