Re: Sarge installation problem

Jacques d'Aragon wrote:
The last installation I did of Debian, using a "Sarge" cd and downloading the necessary stuff from the Internet as it was required went amazingly well (I am _very_ impressed by Debian). Now if I could only get past the following hurdle: when re-starting, Grub comes up, allows booting Windows (XP) but if I choose Linux I get this:
- Booting `Debian Gnu/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-386`
- root (hd0,0)
- Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xb
- kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
- Error 15: File not found
- Press any key...

Next, since Grub allows editing the commands it is about to execute, I looked and saw:
- root (hd0,0)
- kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
- initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-386
- savedefault

Using SimpleMepis (also Debian based), I see that the files vmlinuz- and initrd.img do exist.
So why the error 15?

I don't know why you're getting that error, but have you tried installing the 2.6 kernel? When I used the RC2 installer, I ran "linux26" at the CD's boot prompt, that way it used 2.6 all the way and installed it to the hard disk too. I didn't have any problems.