Re: Creating a copy of debian set-up

jb701@uku.co.uk wrote:
I have Debian sarge loaded and running fine on a Thinkpad (laptop). I now want to copy my setup onto another hard drive, so I can try some things out without ruining this setup (which took a lot of effort to get running). How do I go about doing that? The laptop can only run one hard drive at a time. I can connect to another Debian machine (running woody). The laptop started with woody (same CDs used as the other machine) and I think I kept all the downloaded deb files used to upgrade. Is there any way to copy the setup rather than setting up a new hard drive from scratch?

Do you have room on the other machine to create an image of the laptop's hard drive? If so, use Partimage to image the drive over the network, and then you can restore it later.

If not, then I'm thinking, a copy of /etc and maybe /var and then a list of installed packages? But I'm far from an expert here, so research this yourself before doing it.