X menus won't run xterm pgms (Solved)

Wayne Topa(brittman@capital.net) is reported to have said:
> Bill Marcum(bmarcum@iglou.com) is reported to have said:
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:51:09PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > > Afternoon all.
> > >
> > >   I have just discovered a problem with my X menus.  It seems that any
> > > program that requires an xterm, won't run.  I searched the archives
> > > but could not find any other reference to this.
> > >
> > >   A search on google anly brought up something called
> > > 'sensisable-xtermumu' which seems to deal with different locales but
> > > doesn't seem like what I am seeing.  The BTS was also of no help.
> > >
> > >   I 'thought' the old /usr/lib/menu system used something like 'needs
> > > xterm' but that seems to have changed.  I see no references to that in
> > > any of the files that require xterm.  Instead I see
> > > 'x-terminal-emulator'  called out in the makers menus, but it doesn't
> > > bring up the programs (mutt, telnet, mc, iptraf, etc).
> > >
> > >   I can, from an xterm, execute /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> > > and it does bring up an xterm (uxterm) but clicking on the menu does not.
> > >
> > Is /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator?
>
> Yes
> ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> lrwxrwxrwx /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> and
> ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> lrwxr-xr-x /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm
>
> But note the permission change.  Humm....  More to try.

It seems that,  /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm, was not working through the menu system.

I ran update-alternatives and tried various combinations.  I don't
know what created the previous link but, as of right now (after
update-alternatives),  xterm and uxterm both work when calling mutt
from the wmaker menu, as do aptitude and mc.

Guess I will have to keep a better eye on what is updated, and use X
more often!

Long story short, run update-alternatives when in doubt, after reading
the man page that is.

Thanks for the shove Bill, it helped a lot!

Regards
Wayne
--
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.