Re: cdrecord problems

>> I will investigate on this matter, and it may be a while I will be
>> posting
>> again. I need to understand more of my computer. I will try these
>> methods
>> you mention. I asked my uncle (advanced linuxuser) who said these errors
>> could be solved by lowering the burnspeed. What is your oppinion on
>> this?
>
> I agree on the burnspeed, if you run at the maximum, anyway. Set it a
> bit lower.
>

>> I will check md5sum's on the movies to see if they differ. Havn't
>> thought
>> of doing that before. Used xcdroast to burn the movies.
>>
>> Mainly my problem concerns using k3b or xcdroast in a satisfactory way.
>> The problems gives serious errors in these programs, and is not easy to
>> use as it is today.
>>
>> Is it a possibility that the knoppix-iso-image contains errors?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!!
>> Best regards Vegard.
>>

> From where you downloaded Knoppix, there should also be a file with the
> md5sum of the ISOs, compare them _before_ burning...:)

So thats what they are meant for.... (I have alot to learn)

> I think you could try to burn on the command line, this way you have
> more control over what's going on...
>
> So to start, you should find your devices in cdrecord-speak:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus
>
> As you are running a 2.4 kernel, I assume that you get the correct
> output of your devices (with SCSI emulation) right here. If you have
> problems, do 'cdrecord -scanbus dev=help'. Then you can master a CD from
> a set of files simply by doing

'cdrecord -scanbus'  has given good results with scsi-emulation. Nothing
different from the expected.

> mkisofs -J -R -- directory_to_burn | cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=8 \
> driveropts=burnfree dev=ATA:1,1,0 -
>
> all on one line.

I got an error message on this command:

hjem:/home/vegard# mkisofs -J -R -- bilder/ | cdrecord -v fs=2m speed=24
\driveropts=burnfree dev=ATA:0,1,0 -
INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Using VEGAR000.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0257.jpg
(vegard100_0258.jpg)
Using VEGAR001.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0258.jpg
(vegard100_0259.jpg)
Using VEGAR002.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0259.jpg
(vegard100_0260.jpg)
Using VEGAR003.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0260.jpg
(vegard100_0261.jpg)
Using VEGAR004.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0261.jpg
(vegard100_0262.jpg)
Using VEGAR005.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0262.jpg
(vegard100_0269.jpg)
Using VEGAR006.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0269.jpg
(vegard100_0268.jpg)
Using VEGAR007.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0268.jpg
(vegard100_0267.jpg)
Using VEGAR008.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0267.jpg
(vegard100_0266.jpg)
Using VEGAR009.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0266.jpg
(vegard100_0265.jpg)
Using VEGAR00A.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0265.jpg
(vegard100_0264.jpg)
Using VEGAR00B.JPG;1 for  bilder/porselen/vegard100_0264.jpg
(vegard100_0263.jpg)
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: 'ATA:0,1,0'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
hjem:/home/vegard#

> The device is from the scanbus command. From here on it
> only gets easier, as burning an ISO image doesn't require a pipe:
>
> cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=8 driveropts=burnfree dev=ATA:1,1,0 file.iso

And this gave a similar errormessage:

hjem:/home/vegard# cdrecord -v fs=2m speed=24 driveropts=burnfree
dev=ATA:0,1,0 /felles/musikk-01.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: 'ATA:0,1,0'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
hjem:/home/vegard#

> I have wrapped these two essential lines around a somewhat longer shell
> script to be able to add options conveniently. And don't forget the
> -dummy option if you already have enough coasters...:). I find burning
> CDs/DVDs on the command line much less intrusive than using
> k3b/xcdroast, <devilish_smile> plus think of all the poor Windows users
> who have to wait before continuing to work 'because they don't want to
> mess up their CD' </devilish_smile>.

I bought me some CD-RW's so I won't bankrupt myself on CD-R's. I'm using
these when trying to burn.

> Good luck,
> --
> Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
>                  Key-ID: 0x81073379

I am really grateful for the help I'm getting on this subject!!!! THANKS A
BUNCH!!! There are some conflicts and bad communication between hardware
wich makes this PC a pain in the ass sometimes. I apilogize if I ask
quetstions I could have found without posting on the list, but I am pretty
tired of fixing this PC so I recive happily all  the help I can get..  As
today I do not afford a new PC, but  I'm really  looking forward to buying
a new box!!

Have a great day,
best regards Vegard