Re: OpenOffice.org calc -- entered data "disappears"

It's not so dumb of a question.

If I bring up an old spreadsheet, highlight the spreadsheet area, bring
up the color picker, "Automatic" is highlighted. If I choose "Blue"
("Black" will not work), I can see the data in the spreadsheet area as
I would expect. I can then re-choose "Automatic", and the data remains
visible.

If I start a New spreadsheet I need to switch to Blue and then back to
Automatic, even for just one cell, and then Calc seems to work as I'd
expect.

I'm not sure what "automatic" really means. I tend not to tweak the
colors in my spreadsheets much.

This is not a good solution for the following reasons:
1. This destroys any color selections that may have been made by people
I receive spreadsheets from. I'm particularly concerned with
spreadsheets that are native Excel spreadsheets.
2. I still can't see anything in the entry field in the toolbar area.
This means that I can't view formulas, which is show-stopping for me.

Is there some option buried in menu/dialogs that lets me chose
"automatic" over something else?

Is there an option that lets me set the text color in the edit field in
the toolbar?

-- darin

--- Jason Bleazard <jason.debian@bleazard.net> wrote:

> On Fri, February 25, 2005 12:39 pm, darin strait said:
> >
> > If I open an XLS file or an old calc spreadsheet, the spreadsheet
> > appears to be empty.
> >
> > When I enter a new value (a number, a formula or just plain text)
> into
> > a cell in the spreadsheet and hit enter, the value disappears.
> >
> > If I edit the cell, it appears as if nothing was entered. The
> problem
> > seems to affect every cell in the spreadsheet.
>
> This may be a dumb question, but it isn't by any chance setting your
> font
> color to white text on a white background, is it?  I've never used
> OpenOffice, but I've had similar things happen in other programs.
> Might
> be worth a quick check.
>
> Jason

=====
darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"I am always willing to run some hazard of being tedious, in order to be sure that I am perspicuous" Adam Smith