OpenOffice.org calc -- entered data "disappears"

I've actually had this problem for a while (some number of months).
This would appear to be a pretty big problem, but I can't find any
mention of it via google or the archives, so I guess that I'm the only
one who has it.

If I open an XLS file or an old calc spreadsheet, the spreadsheet
appears to be empty.

When I enter a new value (a number, a formula or just plain text) into
a cell in the spreadsheet and hit enter, the value disappears.

If I edit the cell, it appears as if nothing was entered. The problem
seems to affect every cell in the spreadsheet.

I don't detect any problems with the word processor, but I don't stress
it very hard.

I have tried apt-get remove, apt-get install to no avail. The problem
persists with or without the oo.org-kde integration package.

I'm running sid, openoffice.org 1.1.3, and 2.6.10, kde and
nvidia/nforce2 for graphics. I don't have similar problems with other
applications. Just oo.org calc.

Any thoughts?
-- darin

=====
darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"I am always willing to run some hazard of being tedious, in order to be sure that I am perspicuous" Adam Smith