Re: How long 'till Sarge->Stable?

> > Well, my point of view is that this obsession to get a 'perfect' release
> > causes more harm to Debian than anything else; everybody knows that sarge
> > as it is today is much more stable than many distros out there, what are
> > we waiting for?  It's ok to thoroughly test a new distro before it's
> > released, but taking years to do so??? Come on!
> >
> > Besides, what about the people new to linux? Do you think anyone would
> > choose to try a distro with obsolete software?
>
> How many people do actually require XFCE 4.2, GNOME 2.10, OpenOffice 2.x
> etc ???
>
> Aren't the softwares present right now enough to handle the work ??
> Along with your Desktop needs, Debian also needs to take care of the server
> side where it is reputed.. If you are real desperate of using the latest
> softwares why don't you try Debian "Sid" ??

I DO use sid, in fact I've been using unstable for years, but I have the
knowledge to deal with its occasional problems; I don't think is a good idea
to use unstable for a linux newbie; in this case the options are woody
(completely obsolete) and sarge (steadily reaching obsolecence).

Tell me one thing, if you never used Windows before and you want to try it,
which version would you choose? Windows 3.1? or XP? See my point?

Also, using as a server has problems if you use obsolete versions; don't you
ever need to install a software that needs the latest version of tomcat for
example? I do, and let me tell you that is a real pain to make it work with
woody.

Toshiro.