Re: Debian boot loader problems

Jacques d'Aragon wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Jacques d'Aragon wrote:

The following might be important. "Hosing down the disk" here means two things:
1 - Windows refuses to start. It thinks it is missing NTLDR.

You don't mention what version of Windows; NTLDR is indicative of NT, or maybe 2000/XP. Boot off the Windows installation CD, choose Repair, and repair the master boot record (different methods depending on version of Windows).

2 - Linux on the other hand seems to be missing the file: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386, but I checked and the file is there! So what's wrong?

What makes you say it's missing? If you can see it, it's not missing, so you must be getting some other indication that it's missing. What indication is that?

Windows is XP Pro.
I used the fixmbr function on two separate occasions and it fixed nothing, although Windows had no complaint.

There's also a "fixboot" function, IIRC; you might give that a try.

As far as vmlinuz... is concerned, I got the following messages when linux was trying to restart after installation:
- root (hd0,0)
- kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
- Error 15: file not found. (system now hangs or displays GRUB and everything freezes)

Usually (though not unrarely), Windows would be on hda1. If that's the situation in your case, vmlinuz won't be found on that partition.

Re-directing to the list, where others with more insight might be able to help, or where others looking for help might find this info in the archives.

--
Kent West
Technology Support