Debian boot loader problems

In the Errata for release candidate 2, we read the following:

«*2.6 installer has the potential to mess up Windows partitioning.*
«The fixes of the 2.6 CHS issue in parted are apparently incomplete and some people have reported that Windows did not boot after they installed Debian. This does not seem to affect all systems, or even most systems, but we haven't enough data to be sure. If your Windows partition is important to you and you don't want to take the risk, do not use the "linux26" boot method for the installer, and install with a 2.4 kernel ("linux" boot method). You can always upgrade the installed kernel to 2.6 later.»

Well I seem to be among the unfortunate few. After installation of Debian (Sarge) on the same disk as Windows the boot loader installation invariably hoses down the entire disk and as a result I am getting quite fed up with reinstalling Windows so many times. (Does anyone know of an easy way to duplicate the disk before installing Debian - just in case - so that I could just do a restore instead?)

The next thing I might try is using the 2.4 install as suggested above; but that forces me to disconnect my Raid controller (the disks it controls are not critical for the operation of the machine) otherwise the installation hangs after displaying "Loading module `sd_mod` for SCSI disk support..." it just sits there forever. Well, if that will at least work... but maybe someone has a better suggestion?

The following might be important. "Hosing down the disk" here means two things:
1 - Windows refuses to start. It thinks it is missing NTLDR.
2 - Linux on the other hand seems to be missing the file: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386, but I checked and the file is there! So what's wrong?

Any help will be appreciated.