Re: booting from hdb with lilo

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:01:48PM -0800, j smith wrote:

> i have Debian 3.0 and my hard drive is hdb, i have
> problem with lilo: it can't boot from hdb. does lilo
> have to boot from hda? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

it would help a lot if you'd be a little more verbose.
Assuming you've adjusted your BIOS boot sequence accordingly
(so that the Primary IDE slave drive (hdb) is tried before
the Primary IDE master (hda)), and lilo's config says
"boot=/dev/hdb", there should be no problem with booting
itself, and you should at least see a few characters of the
word "LILO" appearing. What happens then depends on whether
the kernel images are in place etc.

Tell us a bit more about your setup: What is installed
(presumably some sort of Win on hda, and Debian on hdb)?
Exactly _what_ happens when you try to boot? Does LILO run
without errors (remember to re-run LILO each time you change
its config or install/update a kernel)? Please attach your
/etc/lilo.conf, so we can have a look...

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>