Missing drivers? - was - Re: How do I get sarge to tell me what hardware it detects?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:50:06 +0100, Jason Rennie wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:27:24AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>> The only thing (which I used to use once in a while) that does not
work
>> is "sound". And I find the silence to be bliss.

My thanks to both respondents - even if I have ended up more confused
than before; probably because my question was not sufficiently
precise.

So - to repeat the question.  Everything that I routinely use on my
system works. Sound no longer works (it used to work on my old computer
with a Soundblaster soundcard) but I am quite happy to live without
sound.

What I worried about was all the other "unidentified modules".

> it's probably best to ignore the problem :)

And this is likely to be the full answer.

> First thing to try is loading any appropriate modules that aren't
> currently loaded.  Unfortunately, I don't know what driver your SiS
> sound card corresponds to, but you can see the list of sound drivers
> in /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/sound.

I tried that - just to see what I would find. But my installed kernel
(2.6.8-1) does it differently.

It has one directory for "drivers" and a separate directory for
"sound".  And  the "sound" directory has the following entries:

,----[ sound_subdirectories.txt ]-
| core
| drivers
| i2c
| isa
| oss
| pci
| pcmcia
| soundcore.ko
| synth
| usb
`----

All the above except "soundcore.ko" are directories, Most contain
subdirectories - each of which has (what I suspect to be) drivers.
"ac87"and "trident" are subdirectories of "pci"; "via82xx.ko" is also
listed in the "pci" subdirectory (as a file).

As indicated in my initial posting, I am enjoying the absence of
sound in my computing activities.  When I want sound, I turn on the
radio, not the computer.

So, if all the other "unidentified modules" are a non-issue, then all
is well.

Again, my thanks for the pointers in both replies.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)