Re: Hoe to keep an history of package releases installation ?

On Thursday 24 February 2005 08:33, Bob Alexander wrote:
> The only way I know to understand when did I install the last release of
> a package is to look into the /var/lib/dpkg/info directory
>
> ls -latr /var/lib/dpkg/info/*list
>
> This does not show the package release nor does it permit keeping an
> "history" of package levels/installation dates.
>
> I feel this info would be very useful in the resolution of certain
> problems.
>
> Is there some way to achieve this or is this impossible and would need a
> new feature in the .deb packages ?
>
> Grazie.
> Bob

You are not the only one who wanted this feature.  The authors of aptitude
wanted it, and they implemented it.  If you use
aptitude, /var/log/aptitude* will contain a record of all your changes,
including version numbers and dates.

Justin Guerin