RE: Network mounted file systems periodically lose connection

<Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com> wrote:
>> I have several network shares (windows) mounted as such
>>
>> //machine/share /mnt/mountpoint smbfs
>> credentials=/credfile,rw,user,gid=sambawrites,fmask=0774,dmask=0774 0
0

>> And on occasion the share just dies. I'm guessing the reason for the
>> death is something to do with our network, maybe a hiccup, or the
>> windows machine gets rebooted, or whatnot... in reality, I'm not too
>> concerned with the why though. What I want is resiliency such that
the
>> links are immediately re-established. As it stands now, the mount
>> doesn't get unmounted or any such thing, I just get incredibly awful
>> performance if I try to access the share, and eventually it will
timeout
>> and fail.

>What releases are you using? Are you running woody, sarge, sid, or a
>combination of these (be specific)?

>Please run:
>uname -a (I assume smbfs support is enabled. include any additional
>significant info)
>dpkg -l smbfs (just the line it's on)

I'm running sarge, off a net install.

uname
Linux devcentral 2.6.8-1-386 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:24:08 UTC 2004 i686
GNU/Linux

dpkg
ii	smbfs	3.0.10-1	mount and umount commands for the smbfs
(for kernels >= than 2.2.x)

Can't think of any other useful information about this part of the
install. The only thing I can say is that some of these shares are
across the room and others are across the world, and it seems to show no
discrimination as to which ones drop out.