Re: Network mounted file systems periodically lose connection

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:03:07 -0600, Rob Brenart (TT)
<Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com> wrote:
> <Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com> wrote:
> >> I have several network shares (windows) mounted as such
> >>
> >> //machine/share /mnt/mountpoint smbfs
> >> credentials=/credfile,rw,user,gid=sambawrites,fmask=0774,dmask=0774 0
> 0
> >>
> >> And on occasion the share just dies. I'm guessing the reason for the
> >> death is something to do with our network, maybe a hiccup, or the
> >> windows machine gets rebooted, or whatnot... in reality, I'm not too
> >> concerned with the why though. What I want is resiliency such that
> the
> >> links are immediately re-established. As it stands now, the mount
> >> doesn't get unmounted or any such thing, I just get incredibly awful
> >> performance if I try to access the share, and eventually it will
> timeout
> >> and fail.
>
> >What releases are you using? Are you running woody, sarge, sid, or a
> >combination of these (be specific)?
>
> >Please run:
> >uname -a (I assume smbfs support is enabled. include any additional
> >significant info)
> >dpkg -l smbfs (just the line it's on)
>
> I'm running sarge, off a net install.
>
> uname
> Linux devcentral 2.6.8-1-386 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:24:08 UTC 2004 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> dpkg
> ii      smbfs   3.0.10-1        mount and umount commands for the smbfs
> (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)
>
> Can't think of any other useful information about this part of the
> install. The only thing I can say is that some of these shares are
> across the room and others are across the world, and it seems to show no
> discrimination as to which ones drop out.

Well, I assume all is in order (sarge being newer then woody).  My
shares would usually disconnect after an hour of idleness, but it
would reconnect if need be.  Only a momentary delay while it's
reattaching. (eg, server side connection idle timeout settings)

How many shares and locations are you using?  Are you resharing any of
these?  How much data I/O do you see on these, and what time frames?
Do you have multiple linux machines with the same behavior?
(experience tells us, we continue to make the same mistakes/oversights
until we learn from them)

Maybe some statistics polling used with MRTG could prove helpful if
you're into that sort of thing. (carp-de exercise)

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to interject.

Thanks,

Scott Edwards
Daxal Communications - http://www.daxal.com
Surf the USA - http://www.surfthe.us
--
You'll increase your chances by replying to the list!