Re: some virtualization issues/comments (qemu,uml)

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Quoting Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verheyen@sjki.be>:

It seems to me that qemu is a nice way to testdrive a distro, upgrading, checking a new kernel (an issue i've been having with an upgrade from a woody to a sarge release), testing backups (restore). Even some proprietary OS runs on it (if that's an advantage, i'll leave that up to you :))

For some of us that require use of said propritary OS (for things such as work/
gaming), it is an advantage :-)  Though, it will be nice when one day even that
need has vanished.

I checked out the forum but there seem to be some issues left with recent win OS'ses. But it's a great piece of work. I'm testing it at the moment to test an Ubuntu install.

UML on the other hand seems faster and more suitable to sharing a machine and giving each person his/her own UML to mess with. What i'm planning to do in the future for my home lan is making a few UML's on my current server to provide different hosts for DHCP,DNS, mail and webserver. I can't see this happening with qemu because it would probably be a bit to slow.

Fabrice Bellard, primary developer of qemu, has recently released a binary-only
kernel module for 2.4 or 2.6 kernels on x86 that provides much better
performance.  It does this by using virutalization (instead of the full-blown
emulation that qemu normally uses).  This means that it gets much greater
performance, but at the cost of only being able to run x86 binaries on x86 hardware.

That sounds very interesting. I will have another look at the site to see if i can find the patch.

Both for UML and Qemu what would be an good way (=easy setup) of sharing the package cache of the host? Ideally that would be something that can be used by other hosts on the LAN too.
I'm currently having a look at apt-move

apt-proxy.  Very easy to setup.  Comes preconfigured with quite a few official
repositories and some unofficial ones (like backports.org).  The only thing is
that is only in Woody (old version) and Sid (new version that is not ready for
release in Sarge).

Seems there is a version 2 on the way. I'll have a look at apt-proxy then, seems to fit the bill.

It tried apt-move in the mean time but i can't get it to find my archives. I've first done an apt-move, then setup a virtual host on my apache in order to serve the repository but when i try to update it fails. I first tried this in my sources.list (aptrepo being the virtual host name in apache):
deb http://cribbage/aptrepo stable main

Error i get:
Fout http://cribbage.sjki.int stable/main Packages
502 Proxy Error ( No data record is available. For more information about this event, see ISA Server Help. )
Genegeerd http://cribbage.sjki.int stable/main Release
Ophalen van http://cribbage.sjki.int/aptrepo/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 502 Proxy Error ( No data record is available. For more information about this event, see ISA Server Help. ) is mislukt
Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
W: Kon de status van de bronpakketlijst http://cribbage.sjki.int stable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/cribbage.sjki.int_aptrepo_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages) niet opvragen - stat (2 Onbekend bestand of map) W: U kunt misschien 'apt-get update' uitvoeren om deze problemen te verhelpen E: Ophalen van sommige indexbestanden is mislukt, deze zijn of genegeerd, of er zijn oudere versies van gebruikt.

When i try to access the packages.gz file from my 'puter via
http://cribbage.sjki.int/aptrepo/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
i can get the package description.

The problem might be due to aps proxy i'm using because i'm behind an ISA server at work. Thing is that when i add other lines in sources.list for regular debian archives, that these go through without problems.

The path to the archive is /var/local/own_repo with the proper hierarchy in there dists/stable/main/binary-i386 and so on.

I then tried to access the repo by using a file::// statement
file::///var/local/own_repo stable main

This works but i'm not able to access the host file system from the UML's/qemu so i'll have to find out why i have these proxy probs for my own repo

Thanks for any remarks/comments

You are quite welcome :-)

Thanks for the info

Regards,