some virtualization issues/comments (qemu,uml)

Hi,

I've been looking into UML and qemu for virtualization and testing distro's and features.

It seems to me that qemu is a nice way to testdrive a distro, upgrading, checking a new kernel (an issue i've been having with an upgrade from a woody to a sarge release), testing backups (restore). Even some proprietary OS runs on it (if that's an advantage, i'll leave that up to you :))
Qemu is also extremely easy to setup.

UML on the other hand seems faster and more suitable to sharing a machine and giving each person his/her own UML to mess with. What i'm planning to do in the future for my home lan is making a few UML's on my current server to provide different hosts for DHCP,DNS, mail and webserver. I can't see this happening with qemu because it would probably be a bit to slow.

I haven't played with Xen or vservers yet.

Does anybody know if it's possible for UML to install a distro from a cd like you can do with qemu? That way you can really test the setup of a distro. For instance, one could test the debian installer.

Both for UML and Qemu what would be an good way (=easy setup) of sharing the package cache of the host? Ideally that would be something that can be used by other hosts on the LAN too.
I'm currently having a look at apt-move

Thanks for any remarks/comments

Regards,
Benedict
--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D