Re: using download.35mb.com under debian

Kamaraju Kusumanchi schrieb:

|>| Error: http://static.35mb.com/applet/download_u.js: SyntaxError: Parse
|>| error at line 2
|>
|>Obviously the site is using non-standards-conformant javascript code
|>that will not work with browsers that have a habit of actually giving a
|>sense to standards by conforming to them. AFAIK this is the case with
|>both konqueror and firefox because they are both making use of the gecko
|>engine.
|

| Thanks for the reply. The reason they are doing this is as follows.
| This website provides a virtual hard drive for 35mb. One can upload
| important files to this website and download them when it is required.
|
| When a user downloads files or registers an account on their site,
| they will install some kind of spyware on the user's system which is
| why the service is free in the first place.
|
| I wanted to bypass this and have the best of both worlds - capability
| to download files + ability to defend the spyware that they are trying
| to install. So I thought if I can get this thing done on linux, then I
| am at peace. But as you can see the plan has not materialized after
| all.

Although I would never put "important files" as you say on a virtual
drive available through http, I understand your problem.

|>Either point out in a more positive manner than I am doing here to the
|>webmaster that he should not code websites to only work with a specific
|>UA, or try to get IE working through wine, vmware, or similar.
|

| I am not able to run internet explorer through wine. I thought that
| has not yet been implemented. Are there any instructions on how to run
| iexplorer through wine in debian sid? All the webpages that I found
| through google are either old or suggest downloading dlls and making
| changes in the source. But I am wondering if there is apt-get way of
| doing this?

for one thing I can tell you that certainly there is no aptish way to do
this and there probably never will be.
Although I myself haven't been successful in getting it to work yet,
have a look at Frank's Corner [1]. I recommend Joachim von Tadden's
WineTools.

[1] http://www.frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ie6

Regards, Roman.

P.S.: I'm putting this back on the list, since I figure it wasn't
intended by you to turn this into private.