Re: using download.35mb.com under debian

Kamaraju Kusumanchi schrieb:
| Using Debian unstable - kept uptodate on a daily basis.
| I have problem accessing download.35mb.com from Debian. First I tried
| with firefox then there is an error saying that
|

| Im sorry this site is only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer
| on Windows.
| You are currently using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
| rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041128 Firefox/1.0 (Debian package 1.0-4)
|

| OK. Then I tried with konqueror by setting the browser identification
as IE 6.0
| This time I am able to see the files uploaded. But I am not able to
| download any files. For example, I tried downloading temp.txt from
|
| http://download.35mb.com/test1234/
|
| But there is an error with the following message
|
| Error: http://static.35mb.com/applet/download_u.js: SyntaxError: Parse
| error at line 2

Obviously the site is using non-standards-conformant javascript code
that will not work with browsers that have a habit of actually giving a
sense to standards by conforming to them. AFAIK this is the case with
both konqueror and firefox because they are both making use of the gecko
engine.

| So my question is how can I use this site's service in Debian. I know
| that it is possible to use it in windows. But I stopped using windows
| long time and dont want to go back to it.
|
| Shall I file a bug report under konqueror?

As I stated above this is not a problem with your browser i.e.
konqueror, firefox but with the designer of the aforementioned website
who wrote it so it only works with the proprietary piece of crap aka
internet explorer. Simply changing the UA string will not change the
whole way of how the browser is rendering stuff but will merely bypass
any checks for a specific browser.

| Any ideas/hints/work arounds?
|
| thanks in advance
| raju

Either point out in a more positive manner than I am doing here to the
webmaster that he should not code websites to only work with a specific
UA, or try to get IE working through wine, vmware, or similar.