Re: Gnome vs. X keyboard settings

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:25 -0300, Maxi Combina wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:43:51 +0100anspeter Kunz <hkunz@ailab.ch> wrote:
> > > Every time I log in, Gnome tells me that my X keyboard settings differ from my
> > > Gnome keyboard settings and asks which one I want to use.  It doesn't seem to
> > > matter whether they really differ or not (i.e., either, both, or neither could
> > > be set to ctrl:nocaps and it still complains).  Any idea how to disable this
> > > annoying message?
>
> i have _exactly_ the same problem. but, i don't use GNOME, i use KDE.
>

> > If you tell gnome to use the X-settings it shouldn't ask you next time
> > you start gnome (unless you just kill the xserver instead of logging out
> > - because gnome will not save its settings then).
>
> where?
>

> > Further, you might want to compare the settings in XF86Config-4 and and
> > the ones in Desktop Prefs->Keyboard.
> >
> as i said (in purpose, to justify this question), i dont use gnome. in
> fact, i only have installad some components (i can't even login with
> gnome -- no window manager nor panel)... so the question is: what
> program is the one that you open in
> Desktop Prefs ->Keyboard ?
> is there any other way to say to gnome the keyboard i use?
> and, btw, why doesn't gnome listen to the configuration in XF86Config-4?

I see. Then the easiest is may be to just move
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard
out of the way.
This is where gnome stores the keyboard configuration. So if it is
absent, I would guess that gnome will use the settings from X.
I never tried it, so I'm not sure if it works.
Also, you should maybe shutdown gconf before you do this (gconftool-2
--shutdown).

Let me know if it worked.

Cheers,
Hp.
--
Hanspeter Kunz                  Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                   Department of Information Technology

Spamtraps: hkunz.bogus@ailab.ch hkunz.bogus@ifi.unizh.ch