Help to diagnose why system freezes

I just install Debian unstable on another computer and it frequently
freezes up, and the only way out is the power switch. I cannot
CTRL-ALT-DEL, nor switch to another terminal. It happens at the login
screen (KDM), during a session in KDE, when I open a new konsole or
program, or even when I go to log out it will freeze on the logout/in
screen.
I have checked the logs in /var/log/ and the only thing that looks
suspicious is in kern.log:
"atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program like xfree86 might
be trying access hardware directly."
It will appear in the log when there is a freezeup and also at other times
when there has not been a freeze.

I did a google search on the phrase and the only thing I found was someone
with a keyboard problem.

BTW I have run memtest+ overnight with no errors.

Any suggestions appreciazted.
Jerry