Sound in gnome

My sound in gnome is odd.

I don’t really get the whole linux sound model yet, so I’m not sure I can describe this well, but here goes.

If I run xine, my dvd’s have sound.

If I run xmms, I have no sound, I in fact get an error saying “Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly You have the correct output plugin selected No other program is blocking the soundcard”

If I run aoss xmms it works fine.  (using the oss output plugin for xmms)

If I go to desktop preferences->sound, I have Enable sound server startup and sounds for events both selected.

If I then go to sound events and try to play a sound, I hear nothing.

If I run kmix, I can adjust my sound settings.

If I go to a panel and add the built in gnome volume control, I get a little speaker in the panel, if I turn up the volume on it, it automatically turns itself back down to zero immediately.

My reason for caring is that I run a program with wine which requires sound, it makes no sound and throws no errors, I’m guessing it might have something to do with this.

Thanks for any help.