Re: ssh/sshd connects but does nothing, putty/sshd works fine

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:19:06PM +0000, Randy Orrison wrote:
> Sven Hoexter wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:11:58PM +0000, Randy Orrison wrote:

Hi,

> >>When I connect from putty, auth.log at home shows:
> >>
> >>Feb 21 16:59:53 evo sshd[16697]:
> >>       Connection from 80.46.104.22 port 59507
> >>Feb 21 16:59:54 evo sshd[16697]:
> >>       reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for
> >>       dsl-80-46-104-22.access.uk.tiscali.com failed
> >>       - POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT!
> >
> >Hm get your DNS setup right or set "UseDNS no" in your
> >sshd_config. That should both solve the problem.
> >Donno the exact error mesage from the tcp_wrapper so check
> >/etc/hosts.deny aswell for a line like PARANOID:all or
> >PARANOID: ssh
>
> There's nothing I can fix in my DNS setup: it's just an ADSL connection,
> the name that the ISP provides
> ("dsl-80-46-104-22.access.uk.tiscali.com") doesn't map back to the IP
> address, but that's not under my control.
Write them a mail. The tech guys at my ISP are always happy to receive
information about such things. When I worked at a lokal ISP I was also
happy to receive information from customers about problems with our
infrastructure.

> "UseDNS no" got rid of the reverse mapping error (thanks!); but the
> behaviour is still the same.
:(

> I don't think the problem is on the server end: PuTTY on the notebook
> and ssh on the debian box are both coming out of the office through the
> same firewall; they show up on my home debian box both coming from the
> same IP address, and give exactly the same sequence of messages in the
> auth.log on the home box that I'm trying to get into.  ssh seems to
> think it's connecting, it says "Authentication succeeded (publickey)"
> and "Entering interactive session" but no shell ever appears.
I had exactly this behaviour in a network connecting to a SunOS box when
someone removed the DNS server (well yeah that was stuppid). I thought
the box hung up itself or something like that. While swearing about SunOS
I suspended my screen session. When I reattached it later it showed a
successfull login and the timeout which happend later on. So I tried it again
and after about 3mins I got a login shell. So I started a sshd in debug mode
on another port and found out about the DNS problem. UseDNS no solved the
problem in this case.

> Any other ideas?  Any other info I could provide that might be useful?
> This used to work, though I don't know exactly when it stopped or what
> could have caused it to stop.
Start sshd on another port in debug mode and try to find out what is wrong.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world