Re: KDE, GNOME, too intrusive for me !! Any alternatives ?

Jon Dowland wrote:
Yeah, you need to log into GNOME then tell GNOME to use a different WM. Choosing a different WM at the display manager stage doesn't start GNOME. Not too intuitive, I know :) I think the required incantations for GNOME is gconf magic.

Thank you !

That is another mean twist of GNOME :)

This is what I have found for GNOME 2.8

Interesting since I can try other window managers with fake users :)

B.

The default GNOME window manager can be set on a per-user basis.
Procedure

Edit the file ~/.gnomerc in your home directory. There should be a line similar to the following:
export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/metacity

Change /usr/bin/metacity to the window manager that you want to use. For example to use sawfish as the GNOME window manager change the above line to:
export WINDOW_MANAGER=sawfish

If you have previously saved your GNOME session (i.e. checked Save current setup when logging out) you will need to remove the saved GNOME session for the above changes to take effect.

To do this, log out of the GNOME session, and into another session (e.g. the Libranet session). Run the following command from an xterm:

rm ~/.gnome2/session