Re: Question about upgrading debian using crontab

On Sunday, 20.02.2005 at 20:55 +0800, Lian Liming wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       Here is a question about debian upgrading.  Now i am doing debian
> upgrade by using command "aptitude update" and then "aptitude
> dist-upgrade" manually.
>       And what i am thinking is if i can use crontab to do the job for
> me. The only problem is that when doing "aptitude dist-upgrade", there
> are some dialogs which need to interact with me for the software
> setting. I have to answer some questions to finish the dist-upgrade.
>       When using crontab, how to deal with these dialogs to finish the
> process of upgrading automatically?
>       Hope there are some solutions and thanks for suggestions.

Doing a completely unattended upgrade, especially a dist-upgrade, is
almost certainly a bad idea.  You may hit all sorts of unexpected
problems when doing a dist-upgrade - being able to see what happens is a
good idea.

However, you can download (but not install) all the packages required
for a dist-upgrade using cron-apt:

apt-cache show cron-apt

Then, later you do your manual dist-upgrade but this is quicker, because
the packages have already been downloaded.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org
All email from me is now digitally signed, key from http://www.sungate.co.uk/