Re: Windows expatriate seeks shelter, will work for food (install issues)

William Hoblitzell wrote:

I am a first time Linux user and this is the first install I've tried alone.

I am only using El Diablo Winblows

"El Diablo Winblows"? When I first read this I wondered what this product is; I had never heard of it. Later I decided it must be derogatory term for Microsoft Windows. But I'm really not sure. What is this "El Diablo Winblows" you refer to? Is it some off-the-beaten-path operating system I've never heard of; some sort of hardware platform; or just a derogatory term for Windows; or what?

as a basis from which to install, so please don't judge me too harshly for that. I currently have a separate partition(s) setup for Linux in coordination with the red hat suggestion for a dual booting system (keeping Windows for awhile as a net to catch me after I blow up Linux somehow).

No problem here.

I left 2,047MB for the swap drive,

If you've got the space, fine. The general rule of thumb is 1- to 2-times the amount of physical RAM you have in the box, so you're right there within the norm.

150mb for the boot and around 5000 mb for the root.

Everyone is religious about their own partitioning schemes. Although I'd probably do it differently, what you've described is fine.

I downloaded the file from here, the minimal boot CD for a Network install of debian, linked directly off the site: http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/bf2.4-3.0.23-mini.iso <http://people.debian.org/%7Edwhedon/boot-floppies/bf2.4-3.0.23-mini.iso>

I would highly recommend that you use the Sarge installer instead:

The problem comes when I use this CD and attempt to install. I press enter, then the system locks up shortly after. It always freezes at the same spot, with the final line before the big kaboosh being: "ide0 at 0x1F0-0x1F7, 0x3g6 on irq14"

This could be problematic. As you mention below, it might be a problem with your controller. If the Sarge installer doesn't handle this, you might try a 2.2 kernel version (official Woody installer). You might also try a LiveCD like Knoppix, Kanotix, or Mepis, to see if they can handle booting on your system. If none of these work, looks like your particular system might be of interest to the kernel developers.

perhaps the message at the top that says the installer is assuming a 33mHz bus speed (whereas my box has a bus speed of 800mHZ).

Nope; not related.  Don't worry about it.

The partitions I created for Linux's later usage were all after the Windows partition, which might be a separate issue later on

Nah; the general consensus is to create your Windows partitions first, on the front of the drive. This is because Microsoft tends to make assumptions about your system that better-behaved OSes do not make (although to be fair, WinXP does a much better job in this respect than previous versions of Windows).

Can I put [the Linux partitions] after the Windows partition and still have it install

Yep.

(perhaps this has caused/linked to the problem of the freezing)?

Nope.

  Can I even keep the Windows partition before I install Linux?

Yep.

Thanks all for your time and may god have mercy upon my soul for having used and purchased Windows 3.1,95,98,ME and XP in the first place.

Most of us have made that mistake in the past. Some of us still do, for various reasons; we just tend to feel "dirty" about it. :-)

--
Kent