Re: OT: tax filing from a Linux system

%% Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> writes:

  pw> I just went to start my 2004 return with TurboTax for the Web,
  pw> using Firefox, and had no trouble at all, including loading up my
  pw> 2003 data.  So why you say it "does not support Linux" I have no
  pw> idea!

I tried it last week using FireFox on my Linux system and it failed for
me, too.

The list of supported browsers included FireFox for Windows and Mac,
plus some others, but did not list any browser for Linux.

Today I tried again and it seems to work; maybe they loosened up their
browser string check to allow FireFox on Linux now as well.

Note!  You can use many of these web-based systems FREE (for Federal
returns)!  They are free IF and ONLY IF you click through the IRS web
site to get there:

   http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

If you use the free version some of the options might not be available
(for TurboTax, for example, you won't get to import your previous year's
information (if you used TT for the Web last year) if you use the free
version).

There's also a link to various tax reporting software at the IRS site if
you want to look at other, possibly cheaper, alternatives to TT.

FYI...

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools