Re: Any experiences with "Creative Nomad Muvo TX" MP3 players?

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 09:07:49AM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
On Wednesday 16 February 2005 20:40, icebiker wrote:

I'd also be interested in hearing how well USB MP3 players work on
Linux in general. I've been looking at an iRiver unit.

Do they Just Work like regular USB memory keys? or have the DRM
fascists ruined it for us?

I think that any MP3 player will play non-DRM-crippled MP3s (lame
output).  You just have to refuse to buy tracks from DRM-encumbered
sources (e.g. iTunes).

To be fair, unless you're willing to give Codeweavers some money you can't even run iTunes on Linux. To be more fair, iTunes has the easiest DRM to strip of all the music stores. I frequenly buy tracks from the ITMS and convert them to mp3s to use in the mp3 CD player in my car.

About the mp3 players, though, while most flash-based players allow you to hook them up via USB and copy files over (like a generic flash storage device), many actually require some custom software instead. I have no idea about the iRiver units, but the iPods for example use a hashed file tree and file database instead (much faster to read a database of 20 gigs of music than to parse 20 gigs of music files).

A quick google search makes me think the iriver acts like a generic usb mass storage device, and that you can just drop your music files on it.

Also, DRM is usually enabled on a per-track basis, rather than on the whole player. Generally any mp3 should play on any mp3 player.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/