Re: do I want to move to Sarge? (was: installing kernel 2.6 on woody)

Hello

Andy Rowan (<bogey2521@hotmail.com>) wrote:
> Alexei Chetroi wrote
>>   Those depends on libc of greater version than in woody. So you may
>>install needed packages from http://www.backports.org or build
>>necessary packages by yourself. But if you are ready to go with 2.6
>>kernel, may be it is simpler to go with Sarge? which is going to
>>became stable some day
>>:)
>
> Well, I'm certainly considering it.  It does seem like it would be
> easier than mixing, but I'm reluctant to leave behind the warm hearth
> of the security team.

Sorry to disappoint you, but until Sarge is released as "stable", it is
not supported by the security team either, just like unstable. You
might even be better of by using backports of packages from unstable,
because if the kernel is fixed by the maintainer or kernel.org, the
packages goes first to unstable, and then after a while to testing.
Stable is the only Debian version with official support by the security
team.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270