"fsck failed" on lvm/raid1 setup

My home box is running Debian unstable with kernel 2.6.10 installed onto two IDE drives setup as raid-1 (thanks, Debian-Installer).  I am not at that machine now, but the arrangement is basically:
hda1 - /boot 128 MB
hda5 and hdc5 - raid1 device 120 GB used as logical volume group for lvm2, with separate logical volumes as follows (if I recall correctly):
/dev/mapper/linux-root
/dev/mapper/linux-usr
/dev/mapper/linux-home
/dev/mapper/linux-tmp
/dev/mapper/linux-var

/boot is ext3, everything else is reiserfs 3.6

During the boot-up process, I get a message "fsck failed, please repair manually - enter root password for maintenance or press Ctrl-D to exit this shell" immediately after fsck checks /dev/mapper/linux-var.  The system still seems to work normally if I hit Ctrl-D and resume booting.

My understanding from Google is that the recommended way to address this is to boot from a rescue disk or something like Knoppix and run fsck on all of the partitions when unmounted.  However, Knoppix just shows me the underlying hda5 and hdc5 partitions, not the lvm/raid setup.  I've read through man fsck without much enlightenment.

Questions:
1.  Can I fix this by entering some commands after entering the root password during the boot process? I've tried reiserfsck with several different options without success.
2.  Can I boot with the Sarge install disk and somehow correct the process?
3.  If #1 and #2 don't work out, can I start up raid and lvm under Knoppix and attack the problem?  I'm worried about screwing up my system further.
4.  If I do nothing, should I expect my system to croak?

Thanks for any advice, and please excuse the following workplace-generated legalese.

David Bruce

David S. Bruce, M.D., F.A.C.S.
LifeLink Transplant Institute
409 Bayshore Boulevard
Tampa, FL 33606
(813) 253-2640
The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. LifeLink.